Saturday, November 21, 2009

Where Iowa is going bowling and other random thoughts

Today was interesting on so many levels. I witnessed a man in the press box refuse to stand up for the national anthem (that didn't go over well), a reporter got arrested and had his press pass taken away, the four people representing Minnesota's athletic department were some of the most arrogant, ignorant people I've ever seen in a professional setting, and it was the end to my run covering the Iowa Hawkeyes (barring a bowl game press pass miracle).

This has been one heck of a season, and I feel as if I'm one of the luckiest people in the world to have had the opportunity to cover it. Everything came to a climax when I was standing on the field, AP and ESPN reporters around me, surrounded by fans, watching a 'season highlight' video on the big board right after the game.

Hearing the crowd react to every big play as if it were happening right then, seeing the amazing moments I've been privy to all season, and, at the end, hearing the "BCS, BCS" chants left me with the chills for probably five minutes straight. Unbelievable, and it perfectly summed up the entire experience I've had as a beat writer for the Iowa Hawkeyes.

Injury News - Per Ferentz, Robinson re-tweaked his high ankle sprain and would likely not play if they had a game next week, but should be fine for the bowl.

Dace Richardson is also likely to return for the bowl, as is Ricky Stanzi. Stanzi had his brace removed, so he's walking without assistance now and should be good to go come January.

Orange Bowl in the house - The Orange Bowl representatives weren't the only bowl people at the game – I picked up a brochure on the Outback Bowl, and the Fiesta Bowl was also supposedly in the house – but they were the ones I ran into and talked with.

The Orange Bowl likes Iowa. I mean, really likes them. They've experienced first-hand how well this team travels, and Larry Gautier, the Orange Bowl Football Committee member I spoke with, implied that Iowa is one of two or three times they'd be choosing between come Dec. 6.

BCS Bound? - The answer right now is a very apprehensive maybe. At least two BCS bowls love Iowa, but will they really select them over the teams ahead of the Hawks? Don't be surprised to see Iowa in the Outback or Capital One bowl, but if things shake out a certain way these last few weeks, the BCS could definitely happen.

There are a bunch of teams I'd put into a BCS bowl before Iowa. They are:
Florida
Alabama
Texas
TCU
Cincinatti
Boise State
Georgia Tech
Pittsburgh
Ohio State
Oregon

That's 10 teams, which is exactly the number the BCS can take. I had Iowa 12th, but when LSU lost today they dropped out of the picture completely. Oklahoma State is iffy to me, but without Dez Bryant I'd pick Iowa over them.

If TCU, Cincy or Boise lose (all doubtful), Iowa would get in over them. Cincy does play Pitt, and, for Iowa's sake, they better hope the Bearcats win. Would Iowa make it in over a 1-loss Cincy team? I doubt it. Would Pitt make a BCS bowl if they lose again? No way.

The best hope for Iowa is to have Boise or TCU lose and have Cincy beat Pitt. I don't know what bowl Iowa will go to, but the experts are all predicting the Fiesta. We'll know in two weeks, but my prediction after talking to Gautier today ...

Iowa vs. Georgia Tech in the Orange Bowl.

No comments:

Post a Comment